Saturday, December 03, 2005

Attention Terrorist: Please Do Not Use Small Scissors or Light Tools To Hijack Airplanes


So, I started thinking about some of my most prized liberties that have been either taken or diminished since the attacks on 9/11. You know, things that really affect my everyday life and truly define what it means to be an American and free.

Well, as luck would have it the Transportation Security Administration must have been pondering that very same question. The founding fathers would be so proud to know we can once again carry small scissors and tools aboard airplanes. Give me Liberty (and a small tool kit so I can do some light mechanical work at 10,000 feet) or give me death. That Patrick Henry sure knew what he was talking about in 1775.

I have flown a few times since September 11th and never once have I felt the need for a pair of scissors or a crescent wrench. A few extra batteries sure, but a flat head screw driver? Why take the chance? Why change? This is a right and privilege I will surrender to the government if it makes the airlines more safe. Lil' Suzie can make her paper dolls when the plane lands safely.

No comments: