Sunday, January 29, 2006

I Am Conservative, But I Am Not That Conservative

From the world of campaign promises gone a little too far, Italian Premier Silvio Berlusconi has made a pledge of sexual abstinence for 2 1/2 months leading up to their April elections.

To quote the rather fidgety and edgy Berlusconi during an exchange with clergyman Rev. Massimiliano Pusceddu:
Pusceddu, praised the premier for what he described as a defense of family values and promised that his followers would support the conservative leader because "if the left wins it will be the moral end for this country."

"Let me give you my blessing," the priest was quoted as saying.

Berlusconi replied, smiling, according to Il Giornale: "Dear Father Massimiliano. I thank you a lot. I will try to meet your expectations, and I promise from now on, 2 1/2 months of absolute sexual abstinence, until April 9."

Whoa!

While I commend Mr. Berlusconi for his attention to core values, however sexual abstinence between a husband and his wife is a tad overboard. The degradation of values in the world is certainly not predicated by strong, loving marriages. In fact, I believe it would be the exact opposite, too few committed, monogamous relationships.

A few parting thoughts:
1. Win or lose, April 9th will be one hell of day in Berlusconi household if he keeps his promise.
-and-
2. If sexual abstinence becomes a popular campaign platform, I am here to tell I will never run for office. Period. You can probably count former President Clinton out also [hell, being the President of the United States was his best pick up line], however Hillary would probably still continue to run...[cue rim shot]

No comments: