Monday, January 16, 2006

Dirty Little Secret

I must confess I have been secretly reading the Daily Kos. I was hoping to learn about the positions on the left side of the political spectrum. The Daily Kos is a hugely popular web blog with millions of readers a month, so I figured there must be fairly intelligent discussions on the site. I don't necessarily admit my mistakes, however my take on the Daily Kos was way off.

The Daily Kos is a like an elementary school playground shouting match without all the cleaver wit. I have been scouring the posts from the main author, Markos Moulitsas ZĂșniga, for a sign of intelligence and have found nothing profound. I have, on the other hand, found pages and pages of childish prattle. Is this the best the left has to offer?

Consider this disconnected thought from the Daily Kos [in response to another blog by Andrew Sullivan]:
What idiots like Sullivan don't understand is that institutions like MoveOn and Daily Kos are a reaction to the Right Wing's tactics for the past 20 years. We are a reaction to the politics of personal destruction pioneered by the right's Clinton-hating brigades, the vile and corrosive rhetoric of Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, and company, and the politics of demonization which the Right practices against blacks, immigrants, and gays.

But when someone on the left fights back, it's the end of the fucking world.

I understand that it was easier for right-wing hacks to ply their trash when liberals unilaterally disarmed and took it with nary a peep. I understand they pine for those days when the best we could offer in rebuttal was Alan Colmes.

But they created the environment we now play in. They wanted a "culture war", an ideological fight, a partisan rumble in which only one side brought guns to the game. Those days are over.

They don't like it, they only have themselves to blame. Andrew Sullivan included.

Huh? So the Daily Kos is "a reaction to the politics of personal destruction" by the right? Hell, I am an institution created by Clinton. I was very much a Democrat in 1992 and even voted for Clinton [obviously a low point in my life...but college does weird things to people]. The main reason I am a conservative today is because of President Clinton. Demagogues like Markos Moulitsas ZĂșniga like to demonize President Bush, however the irony comes when they defend Clinton. If you want to win brownie points with the rest of the nation, try letting Clinton just twist on rope for awhile [figuratively speaking, of course] and stop defending him as a great President. Every post on Daily Kos is a bitch session, with no solutions to any of the problems facing the country. Yeah, I got it, Kos; the left is great at telling us what is wrong, who we should hate, why wiretapping terrorists is a bad idea, etc. Any solutions? [crickets chirping] I didn't think so...

Of course, that is what the Daily Kos exists for isn't it? It is an outlet of hate, masked in "political discourse." The Daily Kos can point and scream about the "politics of demonization" by the right, but the second that argument gets thrown back in their face, they start trying to justify their own hatred and demonizing. However, the joke is on the Daily Kos...he is no different then the people he hates. He just can't see it, because like a bigot, he is blind to his own warped views.

No comments: