Saturday, August 12, 2006

Final Retrospective

I refuse to dwell on what happened with my dismissal from Juice, but an interesting thing happened in the days following my departure. I received a lot of support from those that I slung the most poison arrows towards. It just reaffirms my belief that people love to debate and argue, but hopefully when it is all said and done we can all metaphorically throw back a beer together.

I have never taken my blog too serious, so I hope none of the readers do either. The sarcasm flows freely in both directions, but comes so much easier when I bash the left. If you were to travel back to the very first post I did here on In A Word you would find that I implored the readers to think for themselves. Just because I say something or the Des Moines Register says something doesn't make it true. The wonderful things about the blog is that I can link to what I think is important and you, the reader, can go view it for yourself. Maybe you will agree, maybe you won't, but the point is you made your own decision.

Scour the internet and you will find stories of large newspapers struggling with the rise of the blog. Major newspapers trying to cope with new electronic competition have developed their own blog sites, only to find they don't generate the traffic that the independent blogs do. Why? For the very reason I was kicked off of Juice, because the blog exists for one person's opinion to be heard. However, newspapers like to control their content and with a blog that is nearly impossible.

The "In Your Words"section on this blog is the place to make your voice heard. I have never censored or removed a comment, and believe me after this week I probably never will.

No comments: