Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Hillary Is Running Everything Up The Flag Pole Just To See Who Salutes

Apparently an illegitimate war is the perfect segue for a political speech about removing the confederate flag from South Carolina's Capitol grounds:
ORANGEBURG, S.C. (AP) -- Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton said Monday that South Carolina should remove the Confederate flag from its Statehouse grounds, in part because the nation should unite under one banner while at war.

"I think about how many South Carolinians have served in our military and who are serving today under our flag and I believe that we should have one flag that we all pay honor to, as I know that most people in South Carolina do every single day," Clinton told The Associated Press in an interview.
The only thing I question is why bring up the war at all? There are hundreds of great reasons why South Carolina shouldn't fly the confederate flag and all that it obviously stands for, but our country being at war isn't one of them. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent reason but certainly not one I would campaign on. The first few things that pop in my head when I see the rebel flag: racism, slavery, and bigotry [or on the lighter side - The Dukes of Hazzard]. To Hillary it's about fighting under the same banner because we are at war. I am not sure if Hillary understands this or not, but other than a bunch of backwater hicks with their rebel flags and 'Git R Done' bumper stickers the rest of the nation is united under the beauty of Old Glory.

Democrats spend worthless hours criticizing the troops' war effort in Iraq, but somehow Hillary is rallying to their aid because of an archaic, vile piece of cloth? And to be clear, I agree with Hillary the flag needs to leave the statehouse lawn I just not following her line of thinking.

No comments: