Friday, February 23, 2007

bitter

So I haven't been updating CBB very much lately, does that mean there aren't liberals doing stupid things? Absolutely not! It just means I've been very busy. As a rule the blog doesn't rank high on my things of "must do," it is, however, something I like to do. My life priorities list goes something like this: family, business, family again, business [unfortunately again], video games, ISU sports [if applicable], rooting against Steve Alford's Hawkeyes [I root for the Hawkeyes in football, except against the Clones...God how I do hate Alford though], watching Humphrey Bogart movies, watching mindless action movies with big explosions in surround sound, and then if there is time blogging.

Lately with the time I usually use to blog has been filled with pursuing new business ventures. Recently I was contacted about by a fellow franchisee about purchasing some of his stores. We could never come to an agreement, but another opportunity presented itself and I have been following that lead for the last week or so. I generally do not talk about my business on this blog, but the reasons why I wish to expand are somewhat political, so I thought I would write a quick post to explain.

Until last fall I had always enjoyed politics from afar. Having a blog with a few readers trashing something I had no control over was an interesting diversion. However with the Democrats being swept into power, I learned a hard lesson. I had always felt that local politics affected more than national politics [i.e. property taxes]. What I learned from Chet Culver and Nancy Pelosi is that the government can do more damage to my business than my competitors could ever hope to.

About a month ago I was contacted about new franchising opportunities within my company being offered to those franchisees with an excellent record. The initial capital outlay is dramatically less than the store I have now, plus there are no tipped employees so no one will be making near minimum wage. In light of the Democrats enacting policies that only affect 6% of the population, this seems like a good business venture to me. My cynical side however points out that while I will be paying most of the crew well above minimum wage, the new store will not have anyone make the $15 -$20 an hour that my original store has. I am not sure this is type of development the liberals had in mind, but it is reality. Instead of creating jobs that potentially pay more, I am looking to create jobs that will only be $3-$5 more than minimum wage. Clearly everyone loses.

But screw it. I have and will give more than most when the Democrat's policies take place, so fuck it I will be looking out for me. Everyone else in the world is looking out for number one, I guess it's about time I jumped on the bandwagon. I've spent the last 7 years trying to run a business with a community and employee centered approach, with the hope of paying myself more when the debt is paid off. I have little to no health care so I can pay my assistants more than I can really afford. However this approach has come to bite me in the ass last November. So yeah...I am bitter.

Real fucking bitter.

So, here I am venturing out looking to do something similar but yet very different in the hopes of Democrat-proofing my business. I futile attempt I am sure, but I cant' wait around for the liberals to completely put me out of business. I intend to go down swinging...it is, after all, my livelihood and livelihood of my family. Diversify or die...

No comments: