Friday, January 19, 2007

Too Many Chiefs

You think the Iraq war has been mishandled? You ain't seen nuthin' yet...
Democratic leaders in Congress lobbed a warning shot Friday at the White House not to launch an attack against Iran without first seeking approval from lawmakers.

"The president does not have the authority to launch military action in Iran without first seeking congressional authorization," Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., told the National Press Club.
Now I've played a few games of Risk before and I've learned that if I tell my opponents what I am planning to do before I do it doesn't lead to the desired outcome I had hoped for.

Just imagine this scenario:

Bush decides to attack Iran, Bush must go to congress to ask permission to play with his military toys, Congress openly debates the President's proposal, newspapers write countless stories, bloggers write millions of posts, and then finally congress approves the military strikes. Any guess on whether or not Iran will be surprised?

Congress can't balance a budget or figure out how to solve problems with social security, the last thing I want them doing is throttling the President's ability to wage war. Forget Bush or the Iraq war for a moment, this just isn't a precedent I think we should be setting.

No comments: