Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Caught In A Webb

So the President delivered his State of the Union, which is generally all positive aside from the war in Iraq. Then the Democrats countered with a largely negative response. The Democratic reply to the State of the Union was handled by freshman senator Jim Webb of Virginia. As we have grown accustomed to, he was heavy on criticism and light on solutions. However, most disturbing were a few points that I believe Webb should be held to. The first is this statement:

"The majority of the nation no longer supports the way this war is being fought; nor does the majority of our military."

The majority of our military? I hope Republicans and the press make him back that statement up. And a majority doesn't constitute the opinions of retired generals that have emboldened the Democratic whining, but rather those troops and leaders currently engaged in battle. Of those brave men, is there a majority that is against this war? If so, it would greatly change my opinion on the war and I would love for Sen. Webb to produce his references.

Webb ended with this:

"Tonight we are calling on this President to take similar action, in both areas. If he does, we will join him. If he does not, we will be showing him the way."

Ewww...that sounds tough, but I am not holding my breath. In order for Webb and the Democrats to show the President the way they would actually need to know the route. The Democrats can tell you want is wrong with this country, but they stop short of supplying any answers.

After their ambitious "first 100 hours" pledge to get some real legislation passed for America, their biggest victory is giving 6% of the population a raise. I don't suppose it would be asking to much if they would get around to helping the other 94%?

No comments: