Thursday, May 03, 2007

Time's 100 Most Influential People [Influential meaning: insignifant and unimportant]


Time just released its' 100 most influential people list and I while I understand that influential and good don't go hand and hand I question the headlines for each section. Osama Bin Laden falls under the "Leader & Revolutionaries" category. Would it have been to much work to make a "Murders & Psychopaths" entry? I completely agree that Osama's influence is far reaching, but I have a hard time seeing his name next to the word "revolutionary." To Time it's just the type of thing that sells magazines.

A lot is being made about President Bush being snubbed by not being included on the list, but after seeing the list I think it's a greater honor not being on it. When I see Tina Fey and Rosie O'Donnell on the same list I know it's a list that needs not be read. Last time I checked "influential" meant "having or exerting influence," so I highly doubt Tina Fey is changing anyone's opinion. Well I mean other than making people rethink whether she's funny or not. And to be clear no one is watching O'Donnell for her deep insights, they are watching for the car crash. In fact, I would wager if conservative bloggers stopped watching the View their ratings would go into the tank.

When you put out a list of the 100 most influential people in the world and include people like Tina Fey and Rosie O'Donnell, it says a lot about how we, as a society, have lowered our standards of what is significant and authoritative.

No comments: